Saturday, October 11, 2008

Spinach Dip

I first made this a while back and liked that it's super tasty, and low fat, at least compared to other creamy dips. The recipe calls for cream cheese, which sometimes causes problems for me since I don't really eat cream cheese otherwise and therefore never have it in the house. After not having made it in many months I was committed to making it tonight without bothering to look at the recipe. I found that if you're in a pinch, it's ok to increase the amount of the yogurt a bit if you drain it in cheesecloth/a coffee filter/a paper towel for about a half hour and gently squeeze the excess whey out of it to thicken it up a bit. I also used a bit extra parmesan, and it ended up quite good -- a higher proportion of spinach to creaminess, but still satifies the cream dip craving. Here's the recipe that I usually make.

Low-Fat Spinach Dip

10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 cup plain yogurt -- low fat or fat free
4 oz low fat cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 tbs lemon juice
salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste


Thoroughly squeeze out thawed spinach. Stir in yogurt, cream cheese and Parmesan. Add remaining ingredients, incorporate and adjust seasonings.

No comments: