Monday, October 6, 2008

Bean Burgers

I likes me some meat. But recently I haven't been eating much of it at all, on account of my over-buying vegetables on a weekly basis at the farmers' market, and the mildly sketchy meat departments in the super markets I've been to here. I had seen this Minimalist recipe for bean burgers a while back, and I finally gave it a whirl. I made mine with black beans and added some leftover roasted red pepper I had. The bean mush was a bit too mushy, so I added some extra oats and some bread crumbs, and it was still a bit mushier than I thought it should be, but I went with it. It turned out that that the burgers were really moist, so I'd recommend erring on the side of too mushy versus too dry. Since originally making them a few days ago, I froze the extra burgers (raw) and cooked one up tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well they do with the freezing.

Bean Burgers
from the Minimalist

2 cups well-cooked beans (white, black, red, chickpeas lentils), or one 14-ounce can, drained
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon chili powder or spice mix of your choice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
Bean-cooking liquid, stock, or other liquid (wine, cream, milk, water, ketchup, etc.) if necessary

Combine the beans, onion, oats, spices, and egg in a food processor and pulse until chunky, adding a little liquid if necessary to produce a moist but not wet mixture. Let the mixture rest for a few minutes if time allows. Shape into whatever size patties you want and again let rest for a few minutes if time allows. Heat a nonstick pan to medium and after hot, add the patties. Cook until nicely browned on one side, about 5 minutes; turn carefully and cook on the other side until firm and browned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummm, they look like the Audobon burgers, which I miss dearly! Perhaps I'll make these tonight.

I love when you post recipes :)