Sunday, September 14, 2008

French Toast for One

Happy Birthday Anthony! It's not the happiest of birthdays for him, since he's stuck in the Las Vegas airport for day two.

Since it's just me right now, I'm doing all my cooking for one. This rainy Sunday morning, it's French toast. I tried a new recipe last night that I wanted to try, and it turns out that it doesn't really taste any different than my usual recipe. Here it is when I sat down to eat:And here it is seven minutes later:

French Toast for One

2 slices bread - I used whole wheat, but a
substantial white bread is also good
1 egg
1/8 cup milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
whatever toppings you have on hand

Mix the egg through the cloves in a wide shallow bowl, big enough to hold a slice of bread. Heat a nonstick pan on medium/high heat for a few minutes. It's the right temperature when you sprinkle a few drops of water on it, and they dance around on the surface. Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture for about ten seconds on a side and put into the pan. After about three mintues, flip and cook for another three. This time I topped with raspberries, orange marmalade and maple syrup.

No comments: